Things to do
- Wine tastings on several wine routes
- A visit to Cape Town, e.g. Alfred & Victoria Waterfront and Table Mountain
- Hiking trips and walks, guided round trips, bike and mountain bike tours
- Trout fishing
- Endless beaches
- City and museum tours
- Whale watching
- Theatre shows
- Craft markets
- Or start here on your trip along the Garden Route.
The imposing Vergelegen Wine Estate and the Erinvale Golf Estate are both located in Lourensford Road, approximately 4 km from the Winelands Villa Guesthouse. Vergelegen is one of the oldest wine estates in the country, where the camphor trees have been declared a national monument and the extensive grounds are delightful.
A 5-minute drive takes you all the way to the white sandy beach of False Bay, and you are 15 minutes per car from Stellenbosch, 30 minutes from the Cape Town International Airport and 40 minutes from Cape Town, Table Mountain and the Cape Town city centre.
We can arrange the following daytrips for you:
|Cape Town / Cape Peninsula||Cape wine routes:|
|(Mouille Point to Cape Point):||* Stellenbosch|
|* City centre||* Franschhoek|
|* V&A Waterfront||* Paarl, etc|
|* City Sightseeing’s hop-on hop-off bus||Hermanus:|
|* Table Mountain||* Whale watching|
|* Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens||* Hemel en Aarde Valley|
|* Cape Point Nature Reserve||General:|
|* Penguins at Boulders Beach, Simon’s Town||* Bike and mountain bike trips|
We can arrange various trips for you.
More things to do in the vicinity:
- Visit the city of Cape Town with its rich heritage of museums and historical monuments.
- Take a boat trip to Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela, the first democratic president of South Africa, was detained for 18 of his 27 years in jail.
- Go up Table Mountain in a cable car – or be adventurous and climb to the top via different routes.
- Take a day trip to the historical Simon’s Town, where the South African Navy base is situated, as well as several museums and monuments, and Boulders Beach with its penguins.
- Visit the Cape Point Nature Reserve.
- Visit the coastal town Hermanus, where southern right whales come to calf every year from July through November. The whales can be seen from the shore, but to get a closer look, Dyer Island Cruises run boat-based whale watching excursions. They can also take you on vehicle based tours of Gansbaai and the surroundings areas. You will also see other marine life and birds on these trips. The coastal drive from Somerset West to Hermanus is spectacularly beautiful, and whales are sometimes visible in False Bay and all along the coast as well – a truly magnificent experience!
- For the brave traveller, White Shark Adventures can take you to do shark cage diving offshore from Gansbaai near Hermanus. The best months for this adventure are from July to October. They provide a complete package: collection and drop-off, full English breakfast, all equipment and drinks as well as a commemorative DVD and certificate of completion are included in a full-day package. During the whale watching period clients will travel back to Somerset West along the beautiful coastal route, stopping at the whale viewing points for viewing and photographic opportunities.
- Visit the picturesque Stellenbosch and Franschhoek areas with their rich history.
- Visit the Helderberg Nature Reserve with beautiful Cape fauna and flora, including magnificent Proteas, the endangered Bontebok, as well as giant tortoises. Go bird watching and experience the abundant bird life in our area.
- Take a drive out to the Winelands of the Boland towns Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl, Wellington, Ashton, Robertson and Worcester.
- Other leisure activities include visiting craft markets over weekends on local wine farms or spending time on the beach. Whether you want to go for a stroll or have some fun in the sun and sand, there are beautiful beaches only a couple of minutes away from the guesthouse.
- Here are many nearby day-spas. Why not treat yourself to a massage or beauty treatment? Whether you are on holiday or a business trip, you deserve to relax and unwind.
- Visit the Cheetah Outreach at Paardevlei in Somerset West. They assist the Cheetah Conservation Fund (CCF) in their efforts to ensure the survival of the free-ranging cheetah. This is done through education programmes that increase the awareness of the diminishing numbers of free-ranging cheetahs in the wild. More info at cheetah.co.za.
- Other activities include horse riding, safaris, helicopter rides, hot air ballooning, township tours, fly-fishing, running tracks, hiking and so much more!